Loschwitz Bridge Dresden

 

The Loschwitz Bridge in Dresden, nicknamed The Blue Wonder (German = Blaues Wunder), thereby referring to its blue coat of paint, bridges the river Elbe connecting the districts of Blasewitz and Loschwitz. Loschwitz Bridge is a cantilever bridge by design and one of the Dresden landmark sites.

 

Building works on the bridge started April 1st 1891 and the shell of the bridge was completed in November 1892. When  officially opened to traffic the bridge weighed 2018 tons and the construction cost were 2.25 Reichsmark. At the end of the 19th century it was the cantilever design which made the bridge special because no river pillars were necessary to ensure stable and safe statics.

 

This article shows impressions of the bridge in the 21st century. It is amazing that the original bridge is still standing and in operation.

 

loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge as seen from the top of Frauenkirche Dresden

 

The Blue Wonder - A picture story

 

This picture story takes you on a walk over Loschwitz Bridge from Blasewitz district across to Loschwitz district.

 

loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge
loschwitz bridge dresden
A look into the bridge construction
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge Dresden
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge Dresden
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge Dresden

loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge
loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge as seen from the Loschwitz side

loschwitz bridge dresden
Loschwitz Bridge - as seen from Loschwitz district, opposite lies Blasewitz district.
loschwitz bridge dresden
The bridge as seen from Loschwitz. Even today the bridge is a major factor for transport in Dresden